New Mexico Foot & Ankle Institute is a premier podiatric practice with two convenient locations in Albuquerque. We're committed to providing patients with the highest standard of care in podiatry, which includes offering wide-ranging non-surgical interventions and advanced treatment options, such as pressure wave therapy. Here's what you need to know about this state-of-the-art treatment, including how it works, its benefits, and the many foot and ankle issues our knowledgeable and extensively-trained podiatrists can address with it.
How it Works
Pressure wave therapy is a revolutionary, non-invasive modality that harnesses the healing power of sound waves. Also known as shockwave therapy, extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT), or Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology (EPAT), this cutting-edge treatment delivers low-frequency, high-pressure sound waves into the site of a podiatric injury or other problem via a special handheld device. The sound waves stimulate the metabolism and increase blood circulation to the affected area, triggering the body's healing response and encouraging the regeneration of damaged tissues.
Shockwave therapy is a highly effective treatment backed by studies and research from reputable institutions and publications, such as The American Journal of Sports Medicine. This advanced method is safe and approved by the FDA for the treatment of various musculoskeletal conditions. Here are a few more reasons to consider EPAT:
- Pressure wave therapy can be used to treat acute or chronic issues, or speed up post-operative recovery
- Because shockwave therapy is a non-surgical solution, anesthesia isn't necessary, and there's no risk of infection or scarring
- EPAT sessions are quick and easy—typically lasting just 10 to 20 minutes—and relatively painless, though some patients experience mild discomfort during treatment
- This therapy requires no major downtime, with many patients returning to work and normal activities immediately, and more strenuous activities within several days
- Pressure wave therapy can be used as a standalone solution for podiatric concerns or in conjunction with other modalities, like wrapping and taping, physical therapy, or orthotics
- This treatment may be particularly helpful for patients who haven't responded to other therapies
- Shockwave therapy targets podiatry pain at its source, rather than simply treating the symptoms
- Most patients report a significant reduction in pain, inflammation, and other symptoms, as well as an improvement in mobility
Podiatric Conditions Pressure Wave Therapy Can Treat
EPAT or ESWT can help patients with a wide array of foot and ankle problems, from injuries such as minor stress fractures to chronic heel pain. Our highly-skilled Albuquerque podiatrists can use this therapy in the treatment of a number of common podiatry issues, such as:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Heel pain
- Achilles tendinitis
- Heel spurs
- Hammertoe pain
- Morton's neuroma
- Bunion pain
- Shin splints
- Arthritis pain and stiffness
- Hamstring injuries
Have a foot or ankle problem that's making every step miserable, but don't see it listed above? Talk to our accomplished podiatrists to find out if this advanced therapy is right for you.
Our Skilled Specialists Can Help You Put Podiatric Pain Behind You
Overuse injuries, sports injuries, and other podiatric issues can force you to change your routine in order to avoid pain and discomfort. Don't let a painful foot or ankle condition dictate what you can do. Get the help you need to get back to an active lifestyle. New Mexico Foot & Ankle Institute's adept specialists provide advanced care and superior support for your recovery. Complete our online contact form or call 505-880-1000 to schedule an appointment.